Problem with buffindexed - which overview-format to choose?

Marc Stürmer mail at marc-stuermer.de
Wed Aug 30 21:54:04 UTC 2006

Hi there,

I'm using INN 2.4.3 on a Linux box. Newsspool is CNFS only, overview are 6
Buffers, each of it is 512 MB big.

Now one of my users complained about not being able to see the contents of one
bigger newsgroup.

The log in news.err looks like this:

-----
Aug 30 00:12:02 iss expireover[2815]: buffindexed: ovgroupmmap ovbuff is
null(ovindex is 28527, ovblock is 1175007543
Aug 30 00:12:02 iss expireover[2815]: buffindexed: could not open overview
for 'misc.transport.trucking'
Aug 30 01:04:32 iss expireover[2815]: buffindexed: ovgroupmmap ovbuff is
null(ovindex is 25938, ovblock is 154743858
Aug 30 01:04:32 iss expireover[2815]: buffindexed: could not open overview
for 'alt.horror.video.collectable'
-----

If trying to enter one of these newsgroups, I got only one article, not more.
But according to the active one of it should have more than 4000 articles in
it, so the ovdb is broken for me in these groups.

How is it possible for buffindexed, after it worked normally for quite a time
to be so broken? After all, rebuilding the whole overview-spool is a royal
pain in the ass, considering the time it takes. :(

And which format for overview would you recommend to use for a
full-textonly-feed? What's the benefit of the BDB-backend and how stable is
it?

Greetings,
Marc