expire.ctl confused on order?

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Sat Feb 4 19:37:38 UTC 2006

On Jan 26, 2006, at 7:50 PM, <eugenia at cox.net> <eugenia at cox.net> wrote:

> The man pages and the search on google for expire.ctl have left me
> confused.  Can anyone advice me.
>
> In the example expire.ctl below I want to expire all “test” and
> “job”newsgroups in 1 day and all the politic type newsgroups in 7
> days.  I also want news.lists.filters expired in 0 days.
>
> The man pages say, “Note that the last matching entry will be used,
> so general patterns (such as defaults for all groups where
> <pattern> is "*") should appear at the beginning of the file before
> more specific settings.”
>
> I am confused, based on the above statement “general patterns such
> as defaults for all groups, as far as “test, jobs,politics”
> newsgroups should be listed first.  But the wording of, “last
> matching entry is used” would suggest that the “jobs,test,politics”
> type groups should be listed last.

Okay, "last mathching entry is used" is the part that really
describes what happens.  You should design your expire.ctl with that
in mind.

(The part about defaults coming first is just a hint about how to
think.  But you're confused because your definition of "defaults" is
different than ours...so you should just ignore that part.)

The expire.ctl you posted, then, is wrong.  You should put it in this
order:

*:A:1:10:10

comp.*:A:1:14:14
misc.*:A:1:14:14