Last call for 2.4.3 problems

Christoph Biedl cbiedl at gmx.de
Fri Jan 13 19:24:40 UTC 2006

Russ Allbery wrote...

> I've been running 2.4.3 for a while on one of my systems, and it seems
> generally okay.  I'm therefore planning on making the release official.
> Has anyone else run into any problems?  (I'll respond to Jeff's message in
> just a moment.)

OK, throwing in my remarks a third time:

> If you have a chance, please install it and give it a shot and report
> any
> problems.

Running on my test system with no trouble so far.

A friend looked over my shoulder while did a build (it was during a
boring lecture a the CCC congress) and asked me why I hadn't the -Wall
option enabled. Actually I never cared :-)
We changed LFS_CFLAGS in Makefile.global and during the make we saw
several missing prototypes and the like. I think this requires some
work.
(For the records, I'm using Linux Debian sarge, gcc is 3.3)

By the way, you might want to point out in the announcement that regular
users of rnews (mainly uucp users) should upgrade asap. The new version
removes a source of trouble by

|2005-07-03  eagle
|
|        * frontends/rnews.c: Maintain and pass around the length of the
|          article and never run strlen on the article. This should fix
|          the
|          truncationproblems rnews was having with articles that
|          contained
|          nul characters.

and I ran across that very badly last week using 2.4.2. Contrary to its
mainpage rnews can (now) handle nul characters in the message quite well
and so do innd and innfeed.

In detail: Until and including 2.4.2 rnews stalls when processing such
an article since the NNTP conversation is damaged due to usage of
strlen. After a long time there will be a timeout and the batch is
written to spool/incoming modulo the nul-character-article and the
cron-based "rnews -U" will hopefully finally feed it. That's a mess.

    Christoph