makehistory / architecture change

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Tue Oct 10 23:24:23 UTC 2006

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006, Paul Walker wrote:

> I recently switched back from Ubuntu to Debian, changing from i386 to AMD64
> on the way. I carefully backed up my spool and history files, only to find
> that the history/overview/something files seem to be architecture dependent.

Well, we always recommend feeding articles across if possible rather than
trying to rebuild from the spool, 'cause it's a pain.  But if all of this
is happening on a single machine, there's not much you can do about that.

> The makehistory command looked like it would be useful for that - however,
> I've just left "makehistory -b -f history.new -O -l 3000 -I" running for 3
> hours, with no apparent results. Surely it can't take *that* long to
> complete?

How big is your spool?  Keep in mind that makehistory has to scan every
single article you have to do the rebuild, so it can easily take way
longer than that.  You can keep an eye on history.new to check progress if
you want...it's going to end up somewhere near as many lines as your
existing history file.

(Incidentally, you probably don't want -I, and I'm not sure why you'd want
to use -l to decrease batches to smaller than the default, unless you're
really stuck for memory/tmp space.)

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org