Better paths in documentation

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Mon Aug 20 19:14:08 UTC 2007

En réponse à Russ Allbery :
> I think there are only a few places that aren't controlled by the inn.conf
> options.  One of them is the path to inn.conf, which is referenced in
> various places and which should have a hard-coded path.

All right.  So there will not be many changes to do.
The main occurrences which need to be checked are those in "scripts" or
"samples".  Here are some examples:

In actsync man page:

    ignore_file=<pathetc in inn.conf>/actsync.ign

In archive man page:

    :<pathbin>/archive -f -i <patharchive>/INDEX

In buffindexed.conf man page:

    0:/usr/local/news/spool/overview/OV1:1536000
[...]
    #!/bin/sh
    chmod 644 /usr/local/news/spool/overview/"$base"

Which behaviour do you prefer?

It could be a mix of the first [for first use in the man page for instance]
and the second.
(And if it is the third, should it be with @SPOOLDIR@/overview?  But that
can sometimes be the wrong path since it is not necessarily <pathoverview>
so perhaps the second behaviour is better.)

> Well, in theory it would be F<I<pathetc>/active> to be fully correct, but
> in practice, that results in weird markup.  So I usually use
> I<pathetc>/active, which highlights the part that's the variable.

It is indeed what is almost everywhere currently done in the documentation.

By the way, is it OK if I commit makedepend's changes?  Or perhaps you
prefer to do it yourself.  There are lots of missing ../include/inn/nntp.h
and also ../include/inn/hashtab.h for actsync.o (and perhaps others -- I did
not check all the Makefiles).

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Quo moriture ruis ? » (Virgile)