managing `innd' to read `inn.conf' from an alternative location

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Fri Dec 7 03:03:59 UTC 2007

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007, Ivan Shmakov wrote:

>  > You could run two installations of INN
>
> 	IIUC, in the latter case, I'd need to prepare a separate
> 	`inn.conf' for the second copy of `innd', roughly with most of
> 	the `path*' parameters pointing to different locations (so not
> 	to clash with the first copy of `innd'.)

I imagine you can't easily do this with the Debian package, but if you
compile from source, you can simply use the --prefix= flag with
./configure and locate the whole INN tree somewhere else.

> 	* is there support for overriding the compiled-in location of
> 	  `inn.conf' for `innd' in any other (newer) version of INN?

You can't do this per se, because the paths are compiled into the
binaries.  So you'd need two separate copies of the whole package, as
above.

> 	* what else may prevent me from running two copies of `innd'
> 	  from the one installation?

The other thing that may be tricky is the allocation of ports.  Obviously
both copies will not be able to listen on port 119 of the same IP address.
If you're comfortable playing with linux networking type stuff I'm sure
you can think of a variety of approaches to this issue...

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org