active INN VCS repositories

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Dec 24 04:47:27 UTC 2007

Ivan Shmakov <oneingray at gmail.com> writes:

>  > except for arch, which is almost unusable.
>
> 	I use Arch for my projects for about a year and a half.  While
> 	it was somewhat troublesome to learn, it, in my opinion, paid
> 	off by now.  It's somewhat OT, but could you explain what
> 	difficulties you see are there with GNU Arch?

I've used it for various things, but it's painfully slow, it has the
strangest command-line interface of any revision control system that I've
ever used, and common operations are either not present or require bizarre
contortions (like a simple revert of a mistaken change).  It doesn't even
generate nice log output, or at least I don't know the magic incantation
to make it do so.  It doesn't work like a regular revision control system.

I've used bzr much more extensively, and it's way easier to use, but I've
not really used it in the distributed mode since I haven't had a specific
need and I haven't had time to sit down and play with it.  Which means
I've mostly used it like I'd use Subversion, which is rather boring.

Most of the DVCS playing I've done has been with svk since that was the
only project for which I had any real need, but even there, I've not done
much more than play with star merges.

>  > I still don't personally know git.  It's on my list to learn, but as
>  > you can tell from my lack of activity on INN, I have almost no free
>  > time to pursue things like that.
>
> 	It took very little time for me to learn the basics of Git,
> 	Mercurial and Bzr, although I've been using Arch for more than a
> 	year by that time, so the basic concepts of DVCS (and I deem
> 	them to be quite hard to get in) were already known to me.

I know enough git to clone a remote repository and submit patches, but to
really use it for a project that I was running would require a lot more
than that, and yes, the DVCS workflow is a large part of that.  I suppose
I'd be in a better place with that if I fought through learning arch, but
I'm hoping the field has matured a lot since then.  I need to understand
the branching model, pulling remote repositories, when to use rebase, and
that sort of thing.

But anyway, our use of Subversion doesn't stop you!  That's why we provide
a read-only Subversion repository.  Point git-svn at it and you can do
just about anything you'd be able to do if we were using git except have
us pull a remote repository, and I don't think that's a huge loss.