Bug with news logfile re local posts

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Thu Oct 4 01:55:00 UTC 2007

Julien just noticed a strange bug...

    I'd love to have people lend a hand by seeing if their servers have
    the same problem.  See my request at the end of this message.

When looking in $pathlog/news at entries for local posts, the originating
server name instead of being "localhost" or the name of the local server
(I forget which it is supposed to be), it is arbitrarily selecting the
name of some peer site!

I was surprised to find the same problem on my server:

Oct  3 21:20:22.396 + news.greenie.muc.de <fe1f4m$78r$1 at puck.litech.org> ...
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's an article I posted from here (litech.org), and had absolutely
nothing to do with greenie.muc.de.

Anyway, I was trying to track down the problem...I imagine it's something
like an uninitialized variable in the Path processing (in innd/art.c), but
nothing obvious jumped right out.

But I'm pretty sure this code used to work correctly.  So I was thinking,
it might be easier to narrow down when the bug was introduced and look
back to see what changed.

Julien and I are both running recent Subversion builds -- could people
look to see which older INN versions do this correctly or incorrectly?
(Just find any entry in $pathlog/news for an article you posted locally,
and look at the field for the originating host name.)

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org