Optimization for the expireover procedure.

Kirill Berezin kyb at online.ru
Tue Oct 16 13:17:41 UTC 2007

At the moment I am sure not. Current implementation of overview database
is optimized for user access only, that is the key for any search
operation is a group number and an article number. But in the case of
expiry the main keys are time of the arrival and group number. In the
current implementation we have to retrieve every overview record and use
arrival time stored in it. For example there are about 15 millions
overview records in our server, number of expired articles is about 2
millions, so we have to analyze extra 13 millions before removal. This
is not good for me.
My proposal is to have a separate storage for the expiry procedure. The
structure of this storage must be optimized to perform expiration as
fast as possible. For example we can use a list of pointers to overview
records sorted according to arrival date or even expiration date ( this
is a little bit tricky). I believe this will be much more faster.

kirill

Jeffrey M. Vinocur ?????: