Optimization for the expireover procedure.

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Tue Oct 16 15:33:30 UTC 2007

Hi Kirill,

> But in the case of
> expiry the main keys are time of the arrival and group number.

So expireover will not remove articles which no longer exist in
the news spool if it is based upon such information.
And articles stored in CNFS buffers will be expired from the overview
even though there are still available from the spool.

But well, these behaviours could be tweaked.

> For example we can use a list of pointers to overview
> records sorted according to arrival date or even expiration date ( this
> is a little bit tricky). I believe this will be much more faster.

I think that it is not the arrival date which matters but the Date: header
(correct me if I am wrong).
As for scheduled expiration date, it cannot be determined since expire.ctl
can change after the moment it is computed.  And there is also the
Expires: header to take into account.

There is also expire to optimize (not only expireover).

--
Julien ÉLIE

« -- Il est parti comme il est venu...
  -- Il ne faisait que passer... » (Astérix)