INN testing news server

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Sat Sep 22 12:51:06 UTC 2007

Some other information:
> And I see that uustat is in that package too -- you will have to modify two
> lines in your send-uucp script to put the right path to uustat in case
> you do not use the last CURRENT release.

There is also the configure option --enable-uucp-rnews to use in order
to install rnews setuid news.

Default:
    RNEWSGRP=news
    RNEWSMODE=0500

With that option:
    RNEWSGRP=uucp
    RNEWSMODE=04550

If you do not want to run configure again, you only have to change
the group, the mode and the gid of rnews.
(and also $rnewsmode in innshellvars* and INN::Config, if used)

> As there are exchanges user & password, perhaps you will want UUCP/SSL?
> (with a stunnel)  But it is perhaps not necessary if we use proper
> UUCP options (check the host and the call sequence number).

For security reasons, I will also add an iptable on TCP port 540 to
only allow your news server.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Il avait juste assez de culture pour faire
  des citations fausses. » (Byron)