Towards a 2.4.4 release

Heiko Schlichting inn-workers at cis.fu-berlin.de
Thu Apr 3 21:19:45 UTC 2008

Alexander Bartolich wrote:
> Julien ÉLIE wrote:
> > [...]
> > Perhaps an implementation of Cancel-Lock/Cancel-Key (directly in the
> > source code or in a Perl module?)
> > Note that the Berlin University individual.net implemented that but I do
> > not know whether they would share it: [...]
>
> AFAIK they implemented it on top of their heavily modified INN and see
> no easy way to isolate the patch.

Unfortunately this is correct. We do use Debians libcanlock but our code
heavily relies on requests to the user database of Individual.NET which
just not exists in the original INN.

But it is fairly easy to implement processing Cancel-Lock/Cancel-Key with
or without using libcanlock. The biggest problem is to guarantee that the
person who tries to cancel is the author of the original article. If you
can't guarantee this, inserting a Cancel-Key is not allowed (and not
useful).

Using IP based access control, this is impossible. In all other cases it
could be hard to impossible anyway, so we have to use our database to find
the unique userid of the original article and compare it with the userid of
the cancel posting attempt.

Heiko

Heiko Schlichting        | Freie Universität Berlin
heiko at FU-Berlin.DE       | Zentraleinrichtung für Datenverarbeitung (ZEDAT)
Telefon +49 30 838-54327 | Fabeckstraße 32
Telefax +49 30 838454327 | 14195 Berlin