XOVER ranges

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Fri Apr 4 17:26:59 UTC 2008

So I'm pretty close to seeing how to fix both issues (the CMDgetrange one
as well as the tradindexed remapping), but I'm not sure what the desired
behavior is when new articles appear after a client has been in a group
for a little while.

So does anybody have an opinion?  Say, if a client issues GROUP, and the
high watermark is N, so it sends ARTICLE N.  Then it sits around for a
while and more articles arrive.  (1) Should NEXT allow the current article
pointer to move past N to the new articles?  (2) Should XOVER 1- return
information on articles past N?

I'm leaning towards "yes" at least for #2.

RFC 3977 does not help much.  It warns clients that new articles may
arrive on an ongoing basis, but doesn't specify the behavior in the above
situations clearly.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org