XOVER ranges

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Fri Apr 4 17:32:11 UTC 2008

"Jeffrey M. Vinocur" <jeff at litech.org> writes:

> So does anybody have an opinion?  Say, if a client issues GROUP, and the
> high watermark is N, so it sends ARTICLE N.  Then it sits around for a
> while and more articles arrive.  (1) Should NEXT allow the current article
> pointer to move past N to the new articles?  (2) Should XOVER 1- return
> information on articles past N?
>
> I'm leaning towards "yes" at least for #2.
>
> RFC 3977 does not help much.  It warns clients that new articles may
> arrive on an ongoing basis, but doesn't specify the behavior in the
> above situations clearly.

You're allowed to do whatever you want from an RFC perspective.  It's a
lot cleaner in some respects to freeze the client understanding of the
group at the time you enter the group and have to leave and re-enter to
see new articles, and I think some clients already deal with this.
Otherwise, you probably want to periodically in nnrpd re-get group
statistics for the group to update the watermarks in nnrpd as well.

I'm not sure if showing articles with higher numbers than GROUP reported
will confuse some clients.