libtool and setenv

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sun Apr 13 03:50:08 UTC 2008

> When using libtool, a test fails:
>
> Failed Set                 Fail/Total (%) Skip Stat  Failing Tests
> -------------------------- -------------- ---- ----  ------------------------
> lib/setenv                    0/0      0%    0    2  aborted
>

> % ./setenv.t
> /home/news/work/inn/trunk/tests/lib/setenv.tr: xrealloc: ../bash/general.c:884: cannot reallocate 262144 bytes (0 bytes allocated)
> /home/news/work/inn/trunk/tests/lib/setenv.tr: xrealloc: ../bash/general.c:884: cannot reallocate 262144 bytes (0 bytes allocated)
> /home/news/work/inn/trunk/tests/lib/setenv.tr: xrealloc: ../bash/general.c:884: cannot reallocate 262144 bytes (0 bytes allocated)
> zsh: exit 2     ./setenv.t
>

> (Note that if setenv.tr is launched from the shell, it works fine,
> but there is no ulimit.)
>

> Should we worry about that (a possible bug in INN when using libtool)
> or is it "normal"?

This and the xmalloc tests are extremely sensitive to the amount of memory
the binary needs to run and will sometimes fail for spurious reasons when
something increases the memory consumption of a basic binary.  It's
unfortunately extremely hard to make malloc fail on demand so that one can
usefully test error handling cases around out of memory conditions....