mailpost woes

Nick Couchman Nick.Couchman at seakr.com
Wed Apr 23 15:21:21 UTC 2008

Yes, updating the man page would be great.  That, and making mailpost
produce error messages when something like this happens.
Thanks - Nick

>>> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at  6:59 AM, Julien ÉLIE
<julien at trigofacile.com> wrote:

Hi Nick,

[Shouldn't doc/pod/mailpost.pod be directly included in
frontends/mailpost.in
and the corresponding man page generated from it?  or is there a good
reason
for this man page not to be included in the script?]

> The man page says the following about the -b option in mailpost:
>
> This option may be required if the mailpost process doesn*t have
write
> access to the news tmp directory (the value of pathtmp in
inn.conf(5)).

> In my opinion, that last sentence isn't quite strong enough - that,
or
> there should be a FAQ on the ISC INN page about this issue.

Isn't clarifying the man page enough?

    Normally mailpost is run by sendmail(8) via an alias entry:

    local-mail-wreck-bikes: "|<pathbin in inn.conf>/mailpost
             -d local local.mail.rec.bicycles.racing"

I can add -b to the sample or write a sentence right after it saying
to use -b if mailpost does not have access to <pathtmp> (mentioning
that
a temporary directory in the Postfix spool directory can be
specified).

> That's great, but why doesn't mailpost give an error message?  The
mailpost
> command was still succeeding - still returning 0 - and there wasn't
any
> information being logged anywhere to indicate that the problem was
that
> mailpost either couldn't find the pathtmp directory or couldn't write
to it.

I do not know.  I will try to test that and fix it if I can.
By the way, the error should have been sent by mail to the news
account.
Didn't you receive anything?

sub mailArtAndDie {
---->    print SENDMAIL <<"EOF" ;
             To: $Maintainer
             Subject: mailpost failure ($newsgroups): $msg
[...]
    exit (0) ;   # using a non-zero exit may cause problems.
}

I like the comment :)

if (!open TMPFILE,">$tmpfile") {
--->    syslog "err", "$msg\n" unless $debugging || -t STDERR ;
}

Nothing in syslog?

> Anyway, I'm glad I got it working - on to the next hurdle!

And thanks a lot for your feedback with mailpost!

--
Julien ÉLIE

* -- D'ailleurs même les autres viandes ne peuvent être
  consommées que si elles sont cachères.
  -- Pas chères ! Dites, vous ne seriez pas un peu près
  de vos sesterces dans ce pays ? * (Astérix)

This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient, please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR) Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor attributable to SEAKR.