expire: line too long

Alexander Bartolich alexander.bartolich at gmx.at
Sat Aug 16 18:57:34 UTC 2008

Alexander Bartolich wrote:
 > [...]
 > Yesterday INN just exited out of nowhere.
 > Today I have the feeling that the overview database is damaged since old
 > postings appear as new.

Turns out the history had only about 30 MB in total. Perhaps it was
truncated at line 586, perhaps it was completely destroyed by expire.

It had the effect that old postings (in the time range between 9th and
13th of August) suddenly reappeared as new. The headers of such postings
(including Xref:) are identical to the original.

To limit further damage I throttled the server, then rebuilt the history

   /usr/lib/news/bin/makehistory -b -s 20000000 -f history.huhu

I abstained from transferring entries from the old history.
The new history has 2.8 GB.
Since it's active the problem seem to be gone.

Ciao

     Alexander.