Configuration Question

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Wed Aug 20 21:00:34 UTC 2008

Hi Brad,

[I do not know whether enabling keywords for overview is fine and does
not break anything if it was not set before.  I think there is no problem
but better ask in case there is an issue.]

> I initially built INN using version 2.4.4 with the following options:
>
> --prefix=<someDir>
> --with-openssl=/usr/local/ssl
>
> I now want to build it using version 2.4.5 with the following options:
>
> --prefix=<someDir>
> [...]
>
> What changes do I have to make to allow me to do a "make update" instead
> of a "make install" since I don't want to clobber all the configuration
> files that I've setup?

No change to do.  Make sure you configure SSL (because you use --with-openssl)
if you want to use it.  As for IPv6, do not forget to add "::1" in your readers.conf
and incoming.conf if you have localhost.
Are you sure you want to use both Perl and Python?
As for --enable-keywords, you have to enable it in inn.conf if you want
to use it.

> I realize that enable-largefiles will cause a
> problem since it was not turned on before.

Yes..

> Is it enough to just rebuild the database after the "make update"?

You have to rebuild both the overview and the history.  But if you use CNFS,
you will have serious problems (as far as I know).

The wisest thing is NOT to use --enable-largefiles if you did not have it before.
Otherwise, you might not be able to recover your spool.
Do you really need that option?

--
Julien ÉLIE

« J'ai le pied gauche qui est jaloux du pied droit. Quand j'avance le pied droit,
  le pied gauche, qui ne veut pas rester en arrière... passe devant...
  le pied droit en fait autant... et moi... comme un imbécile... je marche. » (Raymond Devos)