XGTITLE and XPAT

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Aug 25 01:24:55 UTC 2008

>> I tended against dropping commands that still work.  I don't know if
>> any reader defaults to using XGTITLE these days (it sticks in my mind
>> that it was an ANU News thing and maybe tin used it?).  We don't need
>> to advertise it; new clients should use LIST NEWSGROUPS instead.  It's
>> there for clients that just try it to see if it works.
>
> All right.
> But isn't it a problem to stick to RFC 2080 as for the answer codes?
>
>      481 Groups and descriptions unavailable
>      282 list of groups and descriptions follows
>
> They are bad according to RFC 3977.

If you keep the command, you have to keep the return codes.  It's part of
the command.  XGTITLE has always used those return codes.

>> For a private extension like XPAT, we can take shortcuts
>> that the working group couldn't and just describe INN's behavior.
>
> The most private extension is for sure MODE CANCEL :)

That one I'd not do the way it currently is, actually; the MODE thing is a
bad idea, and just adding a separate CANCEL command advertised in
CAPABILITIES would be better.

XBATCH is probably weirder than the MODE CANCEL stuff.  :)