[INN] #4: Add encoding to checkgroups processing

Matija Nalis mnalis-ml at voyager.hr
Mon Dec 22 20:04:27 UTC 2008

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 02:30:30PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> I think there's some benefit to keeping it all together in the same
> place.  I think the encodings are likely to also be something that people
> will want to get from a reputable central source instead of figuring out
> on their own, so it's easier if they can update control.ctl instead of two
> files.

I would agree there is benefit to keeping it all in one file, but I'm
worried about the compatibility in that case - not just the older versions
on inn (would they all tolerate it?) but perhaps there are other parsers
which get the "master" and parse it for other news software ?

Unless we're pretty sure it won't break compatibility, perhaps it would be
wiser to keep it separate.

> > If a control article contains an explicit charset, should it be used
> > instead of what is specified in this file?
> > Should another option be added?
> >    /encoding/:fr.*:iso-8859-15:force
> > Another better syntax?
>
> doesn't match the content of the message?  My inclination would be to
> trust the article charset over whatever we have in an encoding section,
> since hopefully people will change over time to move towards UTF-8.  But
> if we have to override broken encodings, we should probably provide some
> mechanism for doing so.

Agreed. There should be option for administrator to override it in case of
need.

--
Opinions above are GNU-copylefted.