buffindexed: overview data too large

Kathryn Hemness kfhemness at ucdavis.edu
Mon Feb 4 20:30:17 UTC 2008

Greetings,

I've been running an inn 2.4.2 usenet news server on a Solaris 9
system since 2004 without any issues.  I'm using cnfs and buffindexed
for the article storage and the overview.

For a little over a week now, I've been seeing the following errors in
my news_daily logs:

Unknown entries from news log file:
First 7 / 7 lines (100.0%)
Feb  3 00:02:40 news innd: [ID 584949 news.error] buffindexed: overview data is
too large 12733

The ID is always 584949 (this isn't a PID and couldn't find it in any the
other logs).

I've plenty of space for my overview.

Overview Buffer usage (inndf -o and inndf -n) :
12% overview space used
6731696 overview records stored

Can someone tell me what the error means and if there are any configuration
changes I can make so that innd will stop complaining.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

--Kathy