INN maintenance and facing reality

The Doctor doctor at doctor.nl2k.ab.ca
Wed Feb 6 00:14:10 UTC 2008

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 10:58:19AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> I really should have sent this message about a year ago, but I kept hoping
> I would discover more free time.  However, this is looking increasingly
> unlikely.
>
> As everyone has noticed, there has not been a new release of INN in quite
> some time, and I have not been doing any active development.  Due to a
> combination of significantly load in my paying job (that isn't related to
> Usenet) and other volunteer work, I've had essentially no time to work on
> INN for quite a while now.  It doesn't look like this is going to change
> in the near future.  As a result, I'm really not doing INN justice.  At a
> minimum, a new INN STABLE release is overdue and INN 2.5 probably should
> just be released as-is without all the other things that I wanted to put
> in it.
>
> Realistically, I don't have the time to continue as lead maintainer or
> release manager, and haven't been filling either role for quite some time.
> If someone else is willing to pick up the release management role, please
> speak up.  I'm happy to help as I can find the time and will try to make
> time to do a clean handoff.  I'm also happy to continue to provide
> infrastructure, or ISC I'm sure is also willing to do so.
>
> I'm hopefully not disappearing entirely, and I will continue to try to
> comment on the list and do things for INN when I can, but I'll feel less
> guilty and more realistic if I don't expect myself to maintain the level
> of contribution that I have in the past.
>
> Peter, please let whoever needs to know at ISC about this as well.

As someone who has interest in NNTP, what will it take
to be prime maintainer?

2.5 is not ready IMHO and a new 2.4 is ready IMHO.

--
Member - Liberal International
This is doctor at nl2k.ab.ca	Ici doctor at nl2k.ab.ca
God, Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising!  On March 3rd,
Alberta! Time for a change and beware Alliance in PC clothing. Vote Liberal!

believed to be clean.