Server Synchronization

Lufkin, Brad (Mission Systems) brad.lufkin at ngc.com
Sat Jul 19 19:18:36 UTC 2008

I would love a pointer to some introductory info about INN! The website http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/inn/docs-2.4/ jumps right into the gory details and that makes it hard to follow.

-----Original Message-----
From: inn-workers-bounce at isc.org [mailto:inn-workers-bounce at isc.org] On Behalf Of Marc Stürmer
Sent: Saturday, July 19, 2008 3:07 PM
To: INN Users' Group
Subject: RE: Server Synchronization

Am Samstag, den 19.07.2008, 12:55 -0500 schrieb Lufkin, Brad (Mission
Systems):

> Thanks for the info. With this setup, will old articles be transferred
> between servers? By "old" I mean articles that were posted before this
> setup was completed?

No, it will not. A feed only carries the articles from the time of its setup and after that, but not from before.

You can for example try the method mentioned in the FAQ or use a tool lick suck or newsstar, for example, to get missing articles. Just be sure that you disable the age check before feeding them to your server, then. If your spool is quite big, innxmit could be too slow, other just copy the whole spool initially and rebuild the history on the othe other server, then, but I think that's not what you would like, because of some other issues coming with that.

But seriously, may I suggest reading some introductionary info about INN, no pun intended, so that you get a better grasp of the underlying concepts and components of it.

Of course, having another server administrator is always a good thing. :)

--
Marc Stürmer <mail at marc-stuermer.de>