--with-* vs. path*

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Jun 11 17:51:23 UTC 2008

Ivan Shmakov <oneingray at gmail.com> writes:

>  > However, we still need to know what to put into the generated
>  > inn.conf.
>
> 	But is it really sensible to generate inn.conf at /configure/
> 	time?  Rather, I'd opt for a kind of `initinn', to be used each
> 	time a new INN configuration is needed.

Dunno... it's what we did and it basically works, and has the advantage of
easily allowing non-interactive builds, but those properties could
probably be duplicated in some other tool.

>  > There are reasonable defaults for nearly all of the paths relative to
>  > the root path in inn.conf, which is required.
>
> 	s/root path/--prefix/?  Agreed upon that then.

Right.  Although note that INN sets the default for $prefix to
/usr/local/news following the traditional file layout for INN.  INN's FHS
support still leaves a lot to be desired and a general rearranging of
things would be great someday.  It's been on the long-term TODO list for a
while.