PATCH: diablo style hashfeeds

"Miquel van Smoorenburg" list-inn-workers at news.cistron.nl
Sun Mar 23 14:57:41 UTC 2008

In article <47E66929.9070404 at tmr.com>,
Bill Davidsen  <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:
>Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
>>  /*
>> +**  Even though we have already calculated the message-id MD5sum,
>> +**  we have to do it again since unfortunately HashMessageID()
>> +**  lowercases the message-id first.
>> +*/
>
>Is this really what we want? It treats Message-ID's as case sensitive,
>and I don't see that it's necessary or even desirable.

Well message-ids are case-sensitive, aren't they ?

>It doesn't seem
>to change the distribution of the last N bits overall, so why bother? I
>realize that Diablo may do it this way, but if it doesn't change the
>quality of the distribution leveling, it feels like needless overhead.

It's needed for interoperability with diablo.

With diablo, you can for example have 10 backend-servers that
store articles, each with 1/10th of the feed, hashed with 1/10 .. 10/10.
The reader server can then use the hashfeed algorithm to find out on
which backend-server(s) an article with a certain message-id is present.

If you use INN to feed the backend servers, and the algorithm
is not 100% compatible, things will not work at all.

I don't see why you'd want to make it incompatible on purpose.

Mike.
Reply to the list or to "Miquel van Smoorenburg" <miquels at cistron.nl>