PATCH: diablo style hashfeeds

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun Mar 23 14:28:57 UTC 2008

Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> This patch makes it possible to configure so-called 'hashfeeds':
> an articles message-id is hashed to an integer value and you
> can send articles to a peer based on the range(s) the value is in.
>
> It's compatible with diablo, both new-style and old (pre-5.1) style.

<SNIP>
>  /*
> +**  Even though we have already calculated the message-id MD5sum,
> +**  we have to do it again since unfortunately HashMessageID()
> +**  lowercases the message-id first.
> +*/

Is this really what we want? It treats Message-ID's as case sensitive,
and I don't see that it's necessary or even desirable. It doesn't seem
to change the distribution of the last N bits overall, so why bother? I
realize that Diablo may do it this way, but if it doesn't change the
quality of the distribution leveling, it feels like needless overhead.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still