Change of two fields in overview.fmt

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Mar 24 14:27:11 UTC 2008

Jeffrey M. Vinocur wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Mar 2008, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>

>> I would say compatibility... There may be one or two /really correct/
>> clients which check what they are getting, but in general they assume
>> default and anything else will produce undesirable behavior (of some
>> magnitude).
>>

> Keep in mind that this isn't changing the results of the actual overview
> data, just the results of the LIST OVERVIEW.FMT commands.

Absolutely, but I suspect that those which do check expect something in
the form of <string><colon> rather than anything else in the way of
notation.
> If existing clients assume the default, that suggests they're not even
> checking LIST OVERVIEW.FMT and therefore this change wouldn't break them.
>

> Anyway, I think we should probably have an inn.conf parameter for this,
> and then the only question is what the default should be.

You have my opinion, I'm a believer in Plauger's Law of Least Astonishment.
--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still