Some interesting stuff from PLD

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Tue May 6 13:18:43 UTC 2008

Hi Russ,

> Yes, increasing the client timeout is somewhat more reasonable, although I
> think there's also something in the RFC about that.

I only see timeout > 180 seconds (which is checked within innconf.c):

   http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/nntp/rfcs/rfc3977.txt

   An NNTP server MAY have an inactivity autologout timer.  Such a timer
   SHOULD be of at least three minutes' duration, with the exception
   that there MAY be a shorter limit on how long the server is willing
   to wait for the first command from the client.

Other inn.conf parameters which could be changed:

* hiscachesize is currently 0.  Shouldn't it be set to 256? (or even more?)
  Computers now have enough RAM...

* articlemmap is currently false whereas tradindexedmmap is true!
  Shouldn't it be similarly set to true?

* nntpactsync -> maybe the name can be changed for INN 2.5.
      "How many articles to process on an incoming channel before
       logging the activity. The default value is 200.
       FIXME: This is a rather unintuitive name for this parameter."

--
Julien ÉLIE

« César, c'est un Jules tout de même ! » (Astérix)