Some interesting stuff from PLD

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue May 6 16:32:48 UTC 2008

> Other inn.conf parameters which could be changed:
>
> * hiscachesize is currently 0.  Shouldn't it be set to 256? (or even more?)
>   Computers now have enough RAM...

Yes.

> * articlemmap is currently false whereas tradindexedmmap is true!
>   Shouldn't it be similarly set to true?

Yes, probably.  INN basically requires working mmap at this point.
However, tradindexedmmap does have some code to work around problems with
mmap on NFS, so it's possible that articlemmap won't be as nice.

> * nntpactsync -> maybe the name can be changed for INN 2.5.
>       "How many articles to process on an incoming channel before
>        logging the activity. The default value is 200.
>        FIXME: This is a rather unintuitive name for this parameter."

Probably a good idea, and innupgrade should be able to handle that
renaming without much trouble.