pullnews - bugfix, wishlist, new features

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Mon May 26 18:12:52 UTC 2008

Hi Geraint,

First of all, thanks for your new version with an updated POD documentation.

> Heh, I'd had a poke around and ended up looking at
> http://inn.eyrie.org/viewcvs/trunk/TODO?view=log
> and was wondering why I was finding it cryptic.  Oops, again.  Thanks.

Yep, it is quite cryptic if you read the Subversion logs of TODO.

Was it for another file, it would be easily understandable (logs of
modifications) but with TODO, we can think logs are real todos :-)

    Add POD documentation for distributions(5) and a corresponding
    sample file.

    Add brackets around mail addresses.

    Remove the link to Dave Barr's old INN site; that page seems to have
    gone away.

    It would be nice to allow deleting headers in the Perl filtering code in
    nnrpd.

    Replace TRUE with true and FALSE with false everywhere.

:-)

> I've merged from backupfeed what I can see is missing in pullnews

Many thanks, again!

> - fixed what I may be a long-standing bug in the section with the
> comment 'we connected OK', where we reset the high watermark
> (now that -w exists, if the server resets article numbers, I
> think it best we reset to the low value not the high - comments?);

    if ($prevHigh == -1 || $last < $high) {
      # we connected OK but there's nothing there, or we just want
      # to reset our highwater mark.
      $shash->{$group} = [ time, $first ];
      print LOG " (reset highwater mark to $first)\n" unless $quiet;

It is indeed better to reset to the low watermark (instead of the
high watermark as it was done before).

It depends upon what we understand with "reset":

 * start from nought?
 * start from now?

But I think the first one is the right to use here.

> To save this list more minor traffic, I'm on IRC (Freenode and OFTC) as Gedge,
> if you care to join #irc-workers there.

Thanks for the proposal; I wrote you a little hello there.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« J'ai un copain, il est pilote d'essai... Enfin, il ne l'est pas encore ;
  pour l'instant, il essaie d'être pilote ! » (Raymond Devos)