Perl module with Makefiles

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue May 27 00:49:59 UTC 2008

> I have just seen that I forgot to generate the POD documentation from
> perl/INN/Config.pm; but trying to do that, I also see that I have a few
> problems.
>
> I think doc/man/INN::Config.3pm should be the name of the man page,
> shouldn't it?  Then, how is it possible to do that within perl/Makefile?

The best way to do this is to have ExtUtils::MakeMaker or Module::Build do
it, since it knows things like which extension to use on a given system.
But for our purposes, it's probably okay to run pod2man by hand.

> EXTRA         = INN/Config.pm
> MAN           = ../doc/man/INN\:\:Config.3pm
>
> ../doc/man/INN\:\:Config.3pm: INN/Config.pm
>         $(POD2MAN) -s 3 $? > $@
>
> make complains he does not find what to do with
> ../doc/man/INN\:\:Config.3pm...  And if I write "::" instead if "\:\:",
> the MAN line is wrong.

Yeah, the colons are going to cause make all sorts of heartburn and I'm
not sure that non-GNU make can even deal with them at all.  It might be
easier to generate the man page under some other name and rename it to
INN::Config.3pm upon installation.