Development releases for ISC

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Sun Nov 16 10:55:56 UTC 2008

Hi Russ,

>> Shouldn't we suggest development releases for INN?
>> Either a link to CURRENT snapshots or releasing a real version?
>> (2.5-alpha1 for instance)
>
> That's probably a good idea.  I wonder if they'd be able to link to
> snapshots.  We've not historically really done development releases and
> instead just had people test snapshots, although we could start.

I believe people are more inclined to test real development releases
(identified by a release number) than nightly snapshots (which are
perhaps supposed unstable...).
But I might be wrong.

According to ISC version numbering, it would be INN 2.5.0b1 for the first
beta release.
I suggest to add an optional variable to "support/mksnapshot":

./mksnapshot b1

would generate inn-2.5.0b1 with a README.beta file.

Otherwise, I could duplicate "make beta" and "mkbeta" (based upon a mix of
"make release"/"make snapshot" and "mksnapshot") but I do not think it necessary.

Do you agree to generate inn-2.5.0b1 with the following process?
Or should something else be done?

--
Julien ÉLIE

« -- Ils s'arrêtaient tous les jours à 5 heures,
  pour boire de l'eau chaude...
  -- Je prendrai un nuage de lait, je vous prie. » (Astérix)