History/Overview messed up with INN 2.5.0 rc1

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Sat Apr 4 09:29:48 UTC 2009

Hi Ray,

> I found the following inconsistency in the history/overview information
> for one group

May it be related to what Jeff spoke about last month?

    https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/inn-workers/2009-March/016539.html

    "A bunch of my users were in agreement that they were seeing odd behavior
    that correlated with XOVER malfunctioning (never seeing articles appear in
    their newsreaders, mainly).  Some were able to capture traces of the
    incriminating sessions and it was pretty clear that garbled overview data
    was responsible."

Though in your case it is a "replacement" of articles.  And hmm your overview
seems good.  It is only the history file which is broken (a storage manager
issue?).

> Searching the history for both Message-ID finds
> the same storage token:
>
> /usr/lib/news/bin/grephistory '<hi3at4lo3or326jc6fh9neirmetuadn7i0 at 4ax.com>'
> @03054C414C5430360000000B8D3200000001@
>
> /usr/lib/news/bin/grephistory '<gr32rp$fst$1 at news.motzarella.org>'
> @03054C414C5430360000000B8D3200000001@

I also notice that I have duplicate tokens on my server:

% wc -l tokens.sorted
2744698 tokens.sorted
% wc -l tokens.sorted.unic
2744654 tokens.sorted.unic

A diff shows that I have a token which appear 4 times!
2 tokens appear trice, and the others twice.

Most of them were generated on April 1st-2nd like the one you detected.

It seems to appear in a row (consecutive articles in CNFS?).  Samples
of my duplicated tokens:

297730,297732d297730
< @03034652310000000000001461E600000002@
< @03034652310000000000001461E600000002@
< @03034652310000000000001461E600000002@
297767,297768d297764
< @030346523100000000000014627E00000002@
< @030346523100000000000014628300000002@
297815,297817d297810
< @030346523100000000000014635500000002@
< @030346523100000000000014635500000002@
< @030346523100000000000014635800000002@
299616,299618d299608
< @030346523100000000000014917400000002@
< @030346523100000000000014917400000002@
< @030346523100000000000014917900000002@
299621d299610
< @030346523100000000000014917D00000002@
299632d299620
< @03034652310000000000001491A200000002@
299636d299623
< @03034652310000000000001491AE00000002@
299641d299627
< @03034652310000000000001491BC00000002@
299683d299668
< @030346523100000000000014927700000002@
1353469d1353453
< @0303465233000000000000115F3300000001@
1362300d1362283
< @03034652330000000000001212CD00000001@
1364118d1364100
< @0303465233000000000000126BA300000001@
1364463d1364444
< @030346523300000000000012730600000001@
[...]

According to what one of your user says in alt.online-service.comcast
    http://groups.google.fr/group/alt.online-service.comcast/browse_frm/thread/72f05faf4a06fd71/1bc8048e48f46c63
the other newsgroup alt.sports.football.pro.cleve-browns is also messed up.
Do you see the two duplicates in OVER?

I do not know how tokens could have been mixed :-/

--
Julien ÉLIE

« J'aurais pu faire forêt comble. » (Astérix)