ALERT!! Error in Inn-CURRENT-20090412

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sun Apr 12 19:37:24 UTC 2009

> Well, I do not know what to do.
> Bourne shell does not understand arrays, as far as I know.
>
> The problem comes from "innconfval -s".  Should we just drop the output
> of parameters which expect list values as it is not portable for all
> existings shells?

Oh, sorry, I should have caught this in the previous discussion.  We
should turn lists into space-separated string values for Bourne shell.
It's not ideal, but I suspect it will mostly work.

> However, I think there is a more major issue because I see that
> Makefile.global.in defines an hard-coded shell:
>
>    SHELL=/bin/sh

This is only for running commands in makefiles, so it won't matter.

> There is also innd/site.c with:
>
>    static char SITEshell[] = "/bin/sh";

No idea what this is being used for.  Maybe to spawn programs from
newsfeeds?  It probably also doesn't matter.

> On your system, I see that configure finds /bin/bash, so it would be
> fine.  Nonetheless, I see that on another system, it finds a wrong
> /bin/sh (not aliased to /bin/bash) which does not understand arrays...

The more fundamental problem is that some systems (older Solaris) don't
have bash, and trying to find a shell that supports arrays may be tricky.
Since we're not using the arrayness right now in shell, I wouldn't worry
too much about it and just turn it into a space-separated list in a
string.