ylwrap and parallel make

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sun Apr 12 19:39:53 UTC 2009

> Shoudn't we use ylwrap?
>
>    "This program wraps lex and yacc to rename their output files.
>    It also ensures that, for instance, multiple yacc instances can be
>    invoked in a single directory in parallel."

ylwrap is an Automake thing.  It may be a good idea to switch the whole
INN build system to Automake.  We could try integrating ylwrap prior to
that, though.

> Otherwise, it might cause problems with "make -j" because of:
>
> config_l.o: config_l.c [...] config_y.h
> config_y.o: config_y.c [...]
>
> config_y.c config_y.h: configfile.y
> $(YACC) -d $?
> mv y.tab.h config_y.h
> mv y.tab.c config_y.c
>
> config_l.c: configfile.l
> $(LEX) $?
> mv lex.yy.c config_l.c

I thought make copied with that even with make -j.  The problem ylwrap is
trying to solve, IIRC, is when you have multiple parsers in the same
directory, which I don't believe we have.