Scaling issue

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Wed Apr 15 17:42:00 UTC 2009

Hi Bill,

I have just received a daemon failure regarding my answer to your mail!
Strange:

<inn-workers at isc.org>:
CNAME lookup failed temporarily. (#4.4.3)

It is not the first time I have that (only with isc.org by the way,
and not with lists.isc.org).

***

> Has anyone pushed the number of groups up to say 2-7 million? Posting
> is slow, maybe 2-50 messages/day per group, readership is
> estimated to run 10-2000 groups per reader.

That means between 4 millions and 350 millions of articles per day,
whence an *average* of between 46 and 4000 articles per second.

That seems a lot to me...
Are systems capable of handling that kind of load here?

> Any thoughts at that scale?

I believe it is a lot for a news server.
Usenet is not that big (about a hundred thousand newsgroups?).
I do not think anyone has ever run INN with such a configuration.

According to <http://www.top1000.org/2009/03/participants.txt>, the total
number of articles seen is about 500 millions per month.  It is what
you could have in two days if I understand well...

Anyway, if you try, please tell us the result.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Lorsqu'un savant meurt, c'est une bibliothèque qui brûle. » (Sabatier)