Question about "<news>/db/history" file size

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Wed Apr 22 13:40:08 UTC 2009

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009, Petr Novopashenniy wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Apr 2009, Jeffrey M. Vinocur wrote:
>
> JMV> On Tue, 21 Apr 2009, Petr Novopashenniy wrote:
> JMV>
> JMV> > What was the maximum size of your "<news>/db/history" file in production
> JMV> > environment? How many GBytes?
> JMV>
> JMV> I'm not sure what you're asking here.
>
> Maybe.. Where better place?

I meant, I didn't fully understand the question (which you clarify below).

This is a fine place to ask.  (The other option is news.software.nntp,
although I'm not sure one is any better than the other.)

> Yes, you are certainly right. But I am more interested in the practical
> side of the issue. With something like this success story: "my history
> file size is ~20 GBytes, daily expire process uses ~5 GBytes of memory
> (and works ~1 hour), no problem".

Ah, I thought you might be getting at something like this.

I personally don't have anything to offer you -- we don't run a big enough
server to deal with this on any scale.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org