storage tokens duplications

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Aug 26 11:28:11 UTC 2009

[ Resending post below from non-subscriber.  Please cc the author on
  replies. ]

From: kjonca at poczta.onet.pl (Kamil Jońca)
To: inn-workers at lists.isc.org
Subject: storage tokens duplications

My *guess* is that there is only four hex digits descibings position of
article in *.CAF file.
Since there were posted ~200 000 articles into single .CF file, "number
overflow occured", and number were reused. But, its only my gues.

Below copy of my message posted to news.software.nntp

Recently I have to recreate my local spool from archives.
Archives are set of bzipped files in rnews format.
so recreating were something like  for q in *.bz2; do bzip2 -dc $q;
done|rnews -N -v

Then I noticed something strange in my history file:

%head -n 1000000 /var/lib/news/history|cut -f 3 |grep "@04" |sort |
uniq -c|sort -nr |head -n 10
      2 @0401004A94E8057000000000000000000000@
      2 @0401004A94E8056F00000000000000000000@
      2 @0401004A94E8056E00000000000000000000@
      2 @0401004A94E8056D00000000000000000000@
      2 @0401004A94E8056C00000000000000000000@
      2 @0401004A94E8056B00000000000000000000@
      2 @0401004A94E8056A00000000000000000000@
      2 @0401004A94E8056900000000000000000000@
      2 @0401004A94E8056800000000000000000000@
      2 @0401004A94E8056700000000000000000000@

Is this possible that storage tokens are duplicated?
My storage.conf:

method tradspool {
        class: 0
        newsgroups: local,local.*,control,control.*
}

method timecaf {
        class: 1
        newsgroups: *
}

KJ

--
Q:      How do you shoot a pink elephant?
A:      Twist its trunk until it turns blue, then shoot it with