INN 2.5, inn-CURRENT-20090103 Issues

William Kronert wkronert at sunstroke.sdsu.edu
Mon Jan 5 15:12:06 UTC 2009

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009, Alexander Bartolich wrote:
> William Kronert wrote:
> > [---]
> > When running: news.daily expireover lowmark I receive the following
> > message:
> > - Use of uninitialized value in string eq at (eval 139) line 3
> > I don't know what that message means.
>
> This message is written by Perl.
> AFAIK the only Perl script run by news.daily is innreport.
>
> > In the newsdaily report I don't see some stats that use to be reported
> > and suspect a problem:
>
> Innreport can generate output in plain text or HTML.
> Which one are you looking at?

I use HTML.  I also have have run scanlogs norotate and see the same
missing stats in that out put.

> Do you see the copyright notice at the end of the HTML, i.e. did innreport
> finish or did it abort?

I do see the copyright and innreport does finish without aborting.

> >  - INND perl filter stats.   Perl is enabled and running the same
> > Cleanfeed as before.  I do see rejects for the various Cleanfeed filters
> > in news log.
>
> The perl RE used by innreport_inn.pm for this is
>      ^rejecting\[perl\] <[^>]+> \d+ (.*)
> So
>      grep 'innd: rejecting\[perl\] <[^>]\{1,\}> [0-9]\{1,\}'
> /var/log/news/news.notice | head
> should give you reasonable output.

No output at all for the above grep.  Grep of 'perl' in news or
news.notice yields no out put.
Grep of 'Binary' in news.notice is blank but in news I get a bunch of:
Jan  5 02:56:52.560 - feed-me.highwinds.com
<pIl8l.15869$374.1158 at fe04.news.easynews.com> 437 Misplaced Binary

Grep of 'md5' in news.notice gives me the filter stats but nothing else:
Jan  5 02:15:24 gondor innd: filter: status: accepted 123526 rejected 4916
md5 3279 fsl 2357 arts/s 1.4 accept/s 1.3

Grep of 'md5' in news gives me:
Jan  5 02:15:37.311 - feed-me.highwinds.com
<K5l8l.265814$hm4.168861 at fe05.news.easynews.com> 437 EMP (md5)

> If that's the case and you don't get section "INND Perl filter [Top 100]:"
> in the innreport there is either some bug (in innreport or innreport_inn.pm)
> or you configuration has switched that off.
>
> Do you have a "section innd_perl" in /etc/news/innreport.conf?

There is a section for innd_perl in innreport.conf.  I think it has to do
with what is not being seen in the news logs but why it is not in the logs
is puzzling me.

> >  - NNRP no permission clients: is missing
> > I don't know if this has to do with the error message I get when running
> > newsdaily or not.  Though I have noted in the news log when a reader
> > connects to the server it is missing these various readership stats - I
> > don't see the various newsgroups entered by a reader in the news log.
>
> What's the setting for "nnrpdoverstats" in /etc/news/inn.conf?

It was set to false as it was in my previous INN 2.4.2 version but I just
changed it to true and restarted inn to see if it makes much difference.
So far I haven't detected any changes in the logs when a reader connects.

Thanks for the input.

Bill