CURRENT branch

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Wed May 20 01:18:19 UTC 2009

On Mon, 18 May 2009, Russ Allbery wrote:

> All these fixes don't help the case of out-of-order delivery and nnrpd,
> unfortunately, since nnrpd isn't doing the writing and hence won't get
> the out-of-order flag set and won't know to remap.  That was the
> scenario the code that Jeff removed was originally intended to deal
> with,

Ah ha... glad you knew!

> I think the current tradeoff (where the article doesn't appear) is
> probably better than breaking OVSTATICSEARCH,

*nod*  Incidentally, do you have any idea why I was the only one to notice
corrupt XOVER responses because of this?  It seems like violating the
OVSTATICSEARCH contract would cause trouble more frequently.

> if we do out-of-order article delivery while nnrpd has a search open,
> the client will end up never seeing that article.
>
> It's likely to be quite rare that this will happen, though.

I'm trying to imagine a scenario where this would be a problem...I suppose
if an xrefslave server were being fed a split stream (e.g. separate feeds
for small and large articles) could do it, at least.  Most other scenarios
I think the slave would be receivng articles in order.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org