Call for INN 2.5.2 testing (new NNTP RFC 3977)

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Sat Nov 28 10:32:18 UTC 2009

Hi Russ,

> Yeah.  It's been that way for years and years.  It's just one of the rules
> that, when someone complains about it, I have no really good response for
> why that message ID isn't allowed other than "the standard says it isn't."
> That's not true of most of the other stuff that we're seeing INN reject,
> which has serious potential uniqueness problems.

    http://search.cpan.org/~miyagawa/Email-Valid-Loose-0.05/lib/Email/Valid/Loose.pm
    "Email::Valid::Loose is a subclass of Email::Valid, which allows . (dot)
    before @ (at-mark). It is invalid in RFC822, but is commonly used in some of mobile
    phone addresses in Japan (like docomo.ne.jp or jp-t.ne.jp)."

:)

Thread in the HTML (5) working group:
    http://www.mail-archive.com/whatwg@lists.whatwg.org/msg17327.html

%%
> It seems that these are indeed valid in the wild, and so the algorithm
> should be loosened to allow these.

But the RFC forbids them.  If we're going to even allow things that
sort of work but which the RFC forbids, we may as well allow almost
anything, because who knows if it might work on some software?

> We need to see if these are actually deliverable.

I'd assume so.  In theory all of these should be deliverable.  The
ones without @ obviously aren't, but those all look to have been
confirmed back in 2006, so maybe there was a bug back then.  Addresses
with two or more consecutive dots have been confirmed as recently as
May 2009.
%%

%%
Actually, the trailing dot is meaningful. A domain without a trailing dot is a
relative domain; for example, if you are within the "example.com" domain, then "foo"
could resolve to "foo.example.com" (or if that doesn't exist, then it would try
resolving that at the root level, and fail since "foo" is not a TLD). A domain
with a trailing dot is an absolute domain; it will only ever be resolved at
the root level.

This difference may be significant. If someone manages to register the top level
domain "mail" (which may be possible if the proposed new gTLD rules are passed),
and has an email address of "f... at mail", then you might want to distinguish between
that resolving to "f... at mail.wikimedia.org " vs. "f... at mail."
%%

--
Julien ÉLIE

« En voyant le lit vide, il le devint. » (Ponson du Terrail)