Call for INN 2.5.2 testing (new NNTP RFC 3977)

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sat Nov 28 10:47:13 UTC 2009

Julien ÉLIE <julien at trigofacile.com> writes (quoting another message):

> Actually, the trailing dot is meaningful. A domain without a trailing
> dot is a relative domain; for example, if you are within the
> "example.com" domain, then "foo" could resolve to "foo.example.com" (or
> if that doesn't exist, then it would try resolving that at the root
> level, and fail since "foo" is not a TLD). A domain with a trailing dot
> is an absolute domain; it will only ever be resolved at the root level.

This is a widely implemented feature of the UNIX DNS resolver library
which I suspect has been copied nearly everywhere, but if I recall
correctly, this isn't standardized anywhere.  I think that this behavior
happens entirely inside the client resolver and doesn't appear on the
network in any standard protocol, so it doesn't show up in IETF standards.