Local postings to a group with status "j"

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Sun Nov 29 17:15:49 UTC 2009

Hi,

When a newsgroup has a "j" status in the active file, local postings
are currently accepted.  In fact, they have always been accepted.
Since INN 1.0, we have had in nnrpd:

   case 'j':
     /* Do NOT return an error. */
     break;

We're currently trying to standardize "j" (as well as "x" and
"=alias").  These three status have never been documented
in a standards track.

My question is:  is there any historical reason to allow local
posts (nnrpd) to "j" groups?  Is it the best practice to document?
It could have been like "n" or "x" -- no local posts (unless
configured otherwise in readers.conf).

Besides, the man page for the active file says:

INN 1.0:
  j   Articles in this group are not kept, but only passed on

  If a newsgroup has the "j" flag, then no articles will be filed into
  that newsgroup and local postings to that group should not be generated.
  If an article for such a newsgroup is received from a remote site, it
  will be filed into the "junk" newsgroup if it is not cross-posted

INN 2.5:
  j   Articles are filed in the junk group instead.

  If a newsgroup has the "j" flag, no articles will be filed in that
  newsgroup, and local postings to that group will be rejected.
  If an article for that newsgroup is received from a remote site,
  and if it is not crossposted to some other valid group, it will be
  filed into the junk newsgroup instead.

The behaviour (local postings accepted) is not what is currently
in our documentation (local postings rejected).
We should fix that.

After all (and D. Stussy will be pleased to hear that), I reckon
the documentation is correct and the code should be changed to
return an error for local postings.

Any worries about that?

N.-B. :  When spoolfirst: or "nnrpd -o" is used, local postings
of course are not considered local...
Maybe we should have a localpost: boolean in incoming.conf to
specify that?  It may be useful.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Quand tu auras lu ces lignes, le papyrus s'autodétruira. » (Astérix)