Incremental Sync between Inn Servers

Zhenyu Xia zhenyu.xia at oracle.com
Fri Oct 9 07:46:04 UTC 2009

Hi Julien,

Thanks for your immediately replying.

Julien ÉLIE wrote:
> Hi Zhenyu,
>
>> Is there any method can synchronize articles between two NNTP servers
>> incrementally?
>
> What do you want exactly?
> (Slave mode for the second news server? -- see xrefslave in inn.conf)
Two inn servers synchronize each other.
1. INN server 1 and INN server 2 be setup.
2. INN server 1 be used in intranet(Read/Post)
3. INN server 2 be used in internet(Read/Post)
4. Two server synchronize news feed at certain time
5. Just synchronize new posted articles. such as articles posted after
last synchronization.

>> 1. Using Innfeed command through Channel mode, is it correct?
>>   1.1 Does "Channel mode" supply incremental sync?
>
> What do you call "incremental sync"?
5. Just synchronize new posted articles. such as articles posted after
last synchronization.

>>   1.2 If "Channel mode" doesn't supply incremental sync, we need to
>> use Funnel-file mode to sync remote NNTP server, right? Is there
>> document introduce the format information of funnel file?
>
> See the newsfeeds(5) man page.  It is where you specify the format
> (with the W option):
>    http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/inn/docs/newsfeeds.html
Got it.

>> 2. I noticed that there is some tools can bridge NNTP news to RSS, is
>> there any native component inside inn can support that feature.
>
> No there isn't natively.
Thanks a lot.

>> You know some times people usually behind firewall, http request is
>> the most popular way to access news server.
>
> You could also run nnrpd on port 80...
Got it. Thanks.  I rebuild inn by following steps
1. add --with--innd-port=80 when running configure
2. add "-D -p 80" as value of "nnrpdflag" in inn.conf
3. start inn   ./rc.news
Although it seem work, I'd like to confirm with you guys again, is there
any missing?

Regards,
Zhenyu