count single \r or \n as \r\n while checking line length against MAXHEADERSIZE

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Tue Aug 3 20:31:07 UTC 2010

Hi Florian,

>> If we reject headers whose length exceeds 998 bytes, why wouldn't it be
>> the same for bodies?
>
> Are you suggesting we should reject articles with excessivly long body
> lines? I think that would be wrong, as receiving agents should be
> permissive (from RFC 5322)

OK, I agree that we should not reject these articles.

> I think the question should be, do we really need to reject articles
> whose header line length exceeds 998 bytes?

We could accept them.

RFC 5536:

   o  Compliant software MUST NOT generate (but MAY accept) header field
      lines of more than 998 octets.

> My patch made innd a little more permissive to accommodate for existing
> articles created by broken clients. If innd really can handle header and
> body lines of arbitrary length, we might consider dropping that kind of
> check altogether (for innd, not for nnrpd of course). But since there
> doesn't seem to be an actual need for this, we might rather leave things
> as they are and thus prevent the eventual propagation of extraordinarily
> broken articles and the bugs they might trigger in less robust servers
> and clients.

I also agree with you.  Let's keep the check for the time being.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni. »