Historical functional question - rejecting messages that have blank headers

Jonathan Kamens jik at kamens.brookline.ma.us
Tue Feb 2 17:47:11 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I maintain the STUMP server for three moderated newsgroups --
rec.humor.jewish, misc.taxes.moderated, and news.groups.proposals.  It runs
on CentOS 5, which means that it's using INN 2.4.3, since that's the version
included in RHEL and CentOS.

One of the readers of NGP recently reported that his postings were not
showing up in the newsgroup.  After a little digging, I concluded that this
appears to be because his postings contain empty "Keywords:" headers and are
being rejected by rnews:

OLD/news.notice.2.gz:Jan 31 22:42:08 jik3 rnews: rejected 437 Body of header
is all blanks in "Keywords" header

I downloaded the source for INN 2.4.3 from the CentOS repo as well as the
source for INN 2.5.0 from the Fedora 12 repo.  I found the error message
above in art.c in 2.4.3, but the same message is missing from art.c in
2.5.0, and indeed at first glance, the logic for rejecting empty messages
appears to be missing from the function in 2.5.0.

I looked at the 2.5.0 ChangeLog but didn't find anything definitive about
this.  Granted, there are a lot of changes between 2.4.3 and 2.5.0, so
perhaps I didn't look carefully enough.  If so, I apologize for wasting your
time, with my question, which is...

Am I correct that INN 2.5.0 no longer rejects messages with blank headers,
and that this was an intentional change?

Personally, I think this is a correct change, because while blank headers
may be rude, I'm pretty sure the NNTP RFCs don't prohibit them, which means
that INN shouldn't be rejecting messages containing them.

Thanks,

Jonathan Kamens