Filters and multiple occurrences of headers

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Fri Jul 30 13:56:36 UTC 2010

Hi again,

> A few Netnews header fields can occur more than once in headers.
>
> HDR is supposed to return the first occurrence.
> (Probably the same for OVER.)
>
> Yet, our filters keep the last occurrence of them.
>
>  http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/inn/docs/hook-perl.html
>
>    "If any of the headers are duplicated, though, %hdr will contain
>    only the value of the last occurrence of the header."
>
> Shouldn't it be better to keep the first occurrence?
> Are there people relying on the behaviour of keeping the last
> occurrence?

I have just tested and our documentation is inaccurate.  %hdr contains
the same value as what is in the overview.
Consequently, when a header was duplicated, filters contained nothing
at all!

Now that our overview data is fixed and contains the first occurrence of
duplicated headers, %hdr is properly set and contains the value of the
first occurrence of the header.
I believe that's the best behaviour to have (homogeneity).

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Un croyant, c'est un antiseptique. » (Raymond Devos)