[patch] actsync rejects hannover._wichtig

Florian Schlichting fschlich at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE
Fri Mar 19 14:16:10 UTC 2010

Hi Julien,

> >Note that this does not fix the case where the hierarchy name starts
> >with one of these characters, as I'm unaware of any such hierarchy. If
> >needed, backends/actsync.c:1142 would need to be amended accordingly.
>
> Are you sure newsgroups with such names are rejected?
> I read:
>
>    /* must start with an alphanumeric ascii character */
>    if (!isascii(name[0])) {
>        return 1;
>    }
>
> It is isascii() and not isalnum() -- discrepancy in the comment...

You almost fooled me... or I fooled you. Lines 1142 to 1152 have to be
looked at together, and what would need to be amened is of course line
1146 (isalpha()...) so that non_num will be set to true:

    /* set non_num as needed */
    if (isalpha((int)name[0])) {
        non_num = true;
    } else if ((int)isdigit((int)name[0])) {
        non_num = false;
    } else {
        return 1;
    }

> >For example, actsync properly checks for all-numeric
> >components, which would clash with tradspool article storage. A check in
> >innd/cc.c:988 (CCnewgroup), which is supposedly trying to do the same,
> >doesn't even catch 'ctlinnd newgroup 123.456.798'
>
> One may wish to have such newsgroups in case he does not use tradspool.
> It is only a SHOULD NOT in RFC 5536.
>
> An newsgroup named microsoft.public.vb.6.webdevelopment exists in the
> microsoft.* hierarchy.

I think it would be best to follow the actsync approach and have a
global configuration variable num_chk or allownumericgroup or some such.
And even if forbidden innd would still need to accept the article if
it's crossposted to some other valid group, right?

What I meant to say is that I don't think the strspn() in that line has
any effect in practice, and it's probably not meant that way - or am I
overlooking something here?

Florian