XOVER failure

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Fri May 7 23:57:07 UTC 2010

Julien ÉLIE writes:

> Hi Sam,
>
>> I'm seeing something I do not understand. tradindexed overview.
>>
>> 200 commodore.email-scan.com InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.5.0 ready (posting ok)
>> XHDR Lines 584171-
>> 221 Header information for Lines follows (from articles)
>> 584171 1
>> .
>> XOVER 584171-584171
>> 224 No articles in 584171-584171
>> .
>> XOVER 584171-584171
>> 224 Overview information for 584171-584171 follows
>> 584171 test message sam at email-scan.com Fri, 7 May 2010 03:25:42
>> +0000 (UTC) <hs017m$opu$1 at commodore.email-scan.com>  558 1
>> .
>
> It is indeed a bug I can also see in INN 2.5.2.
> It is in fact a long-standing bug.
>
> That's great to have spotted it!!

Any idea how long -- just curious.

This must've worked for me at some point in the past. I've been using the
same client for years, which issues this sequence of commands when checking
for new messages in a newsgroup.

> But obviously does not find the last article.
> Incidentally, you will notice in your logs something like:
>
> May  7 22:47:44 news nnrpd[15094]: Invalid or inaccessible entry for article 424 in
> /home/news/spool/overview/t/t/trigofacile.test.IDX: offset 113737 length 564 datalength 113737

Yes, I see these. Or, rather, I see this now. I wasn't aware that something
was being logged to syslog, I was looking around only in
/var/spool/news/news.*