XOVER failure

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Sat May 8 08:13:21 UTC 2010

Hi Sam,

> Any idea how long -- just curious.
>
> This must've worked for me at some point in the past. I've been using the
> same client for years, which issues this sequence of commands when checking
> for new messages in a newsgroup.

I've just wandered our Subversion history and you're right:  the problem you
explicitly see appeared in INN 2.5.0 (use of two OVER in the row to see the
last data after HDR or XPAT has been sent).

However, you had another issue with previous versions of INN!
See:
    https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/inn-workers/2009-May/016732.html
    https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/inn-workers/2009-May/016763.html

Basically, when a user sent OVER and an article arrived during the time OVER
was still running, the overview was remapped during the search and therefore
appeared totally garbled -- leading to articles never appearing (initially
reported by Jeff).

That was what we fixed in INN 2.5.0 but apparently, as you discovered,
we introduced a little bug...
Now fixed, thanks!

>> May  7 22:47:44 news nnrpd[15094]: Invalid or inaccessible entry for article 424 in
>> /home/news/spool/overview/t/t/trigofacile.test.IDX: offset 113737 length 564 datalength 113737
>
> Yes, I see these. Or, rather, I see this now. I wasn't aware that something
> was being logged to syslog, I was looking around only in
> /var/spool/news/news.*

I have them in my var/spool/news/news.notice file.

I see that I currently have these lines in my syslog-ng.conf file.  I sometimes change
them according to my need at the moment.

destination df_news_dot_notice { file("/var/log/news/news.notice" owner("news")); };
destination df_news_dot_err { file("/var/log/news/news.err" owner("news")); };
destination df_news_dot_crit { file("/var/log/news/news.crit" owner("news")); };
destination df_news_dot_debug { file("/var/log/news/news.debug" owner("news")); };

filter f_syslog { not facility(auth, authpriv, news, cron); };

# Make debug silent for news.
filter f_debug { level(debug) and not facility(auth, authpriv, news, mail); };

filter f_news { facility(news); };

# news.debug                       /var/log/news/news.debug
#log {
#        source(s_all);
#        filter(f_news);
#        filter(f_at_least_debug);
#        destination(df_news_dot_debug);
#};

# news.crit                       /var/log/news/news.crit
log {
        source(s_all);
        filter(f_news);
        filter(f_at_least_crit);
        destination(df_news_dot_crit);
};

# news.err                        /var/log/news/news.err
log {
        source(s_all);
        filter(f_news);
        filter(f_at_least_err);
        destination(df_news_dot_err);
};

# news.notice                     /var/log/news/news.notice
# At least *info* (more than notice).
log {
        source(s_all);
        filter(f_news);